The Karate Kid: I haven’t seen the remake with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith even though I hear it’s not bad. There’s nothing that compares to this classic original when it comes to the New Jersey accent, black eye and boyish charm of Ralph Macchio. Plus, Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi is just superb acting/casting (the broken English and delivery of the lines is hysterical.) Even though it’s coined as a martial arts film, I never really thought of it that way. As a kid, I just loved the story of the kid who moves to a new town, without a father, and without a way to protect himself from some of the worst bullies the 80s has to offer. I mean, really, the build up for Daniel to kick Johnny’s butt at the tournament is so great. The pay-off for seeing Daniel go through a change from a lost kid to a strong young man is what makes this film superb. If young audiences have only seen the 2010 version of this film, they will really be pleasantly surprised to see how well the chemistry between Daniel-san and Mr. Miyagi work. The development of the characters and their bond makes that movie so much more than a martial arts film. Plus, there are so many great scenes and quotes in this movie too. I mean no one will ever think of karate without thinking of, “wax on, wax off.” Ah, the wisdom of Mr. Miyagi.
Married to Steve. Mother of Jack. Librarian IT Assistant. Writer, teacher, blogger, technological princess.
- Jack’s been doing well with a schedule.
- Since it was rainy and windy again today, Jack and I took another car ride.
- Jack and I took a ride in the car today since it was raining.
- Yesterday was a good day for Florida and The Space Coast.
- The last two days, we’ve enjoyed the sunshine by taking walks around the neighbourhood.
- Friday is a bank holiday to coincide with VE Day.